Friday, April 28, 2017

Ebony Dress with fabric from Oaxaca







I love fast and easy sewing projects! They are so fun and satisfying. The Ebony pattern from Closet Case Patterns is the perfect quick project, in a few hours you can have a new dress! I've been wanting a swingy dress for awhile, so when the Ebony pattern came out I snatched it up right away. I finished the dress about two weeks ago and I have already worn it 4 times. I love how swingy it is!








It was very easy to sew, I don't have a serger so I did a zig-zag stitch on all my seams. I actually cut one of my pieces too small (when I traced the pattern I was watching Anne of Green Gables and not paying attention to what I was doing) but it didn't even matter! That's the beauty of sewing with knits, if you cut something too small you can just stretch it to fit! Another thing I love about knits is that they don't unravel so you don't have to finish your seams, which saves soooo much time.








The fabric for this dress is from a store in Oaxaca, Mexico. Josh went there for a film festival 1.5 years ago and brought me back tons of fabric (he's a keeper)! The simple silhouette of the Ebony works perfectly with the large pattern and bright colors on the fabric. I lined the fabric up so the pattern would go straight down the center in the front and back. I made sure to have the front neckline start in the center of one of the orange shapes, so the orange has kind of a necklace affect. The only other dress I've attempted with all my Oaxacan fabric was a Colette wren dress. I wear that one all the time too  :)  I went to Oaxaca with Josh this year and it is a beautiful city with very talented people and delicious food!


Pattern: Closet Case Patterns Ebony Dress
Size: 6
Fabric: silky knit fabric from Mexico
Did I like the pattern? Definitely. It was super fast and easy, and it's cute so that's a win-win.






Captain of Sewing!


Next On My Sewing Table

I have all my fabric cut for another Grainline Linden. My fabric is a really fun textured knit that I got at an antique store! 



3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos! Love your dress, the print is awesome and is perfect for the dress, the shape really shows it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just blew my load!

    ReplyDelete