Thursday, May 14, 2015

Paisley Skinny Tie DIY





Last month, Josh and I celebrated our 1st anniversary with yummy food, a Bob Dylan concert, and this paisley skinny tie. I bought the lovely silk fabric from Mood a few years ago, and finally - finally made Josh a tie with it. The light blue fabric is leftover from when I made my wedding dress! I'm sooo pleased with the result. Josh actually asked me where I bought it!


Tie pieces


I did a lot of online searching for a free and easy to follow skinny tie pattern. I found the perfect pattern/instructions on the blog Joe & Cheryl. Cheryl geniusly took one of Joe's old ties to copy the pattern from, so it's the perfect shape for a skinny tie. Check out their blog for full instructions  :)


I used leftover blue silk from my wedding dress for the inner fabric!


After tapping and cutting my pattern pieces out, I cut all my fabric. Pretty much everything has to be cut on the bias, so the tie will bend & tie-up nicely. Because I was using silk, and silk is all wiggly, I used a rotatory cutter. The rotary cutter also worked well, since I was mostly cutting long straight lines. When I had all the pieces, I sewed together the tie. Cheryl's instructions are amazing, they made it so simple to put together.






I definitely want to make some more ties, maybe with some vintage silk or some nice wool! Father's Day is right around the corner too - ties make great gifts ya'll!





2 comments:

  1. Hello !

    As part of my June column about sewing trends for Sew, Mama, Sew!, I'd love to share this project. I will share one photo and link to both your project and your main blog address. (you can see past trends posts here: http://www.sewmamasew.com/?s=sewing+trends

    if you'd like to be included, please respond ASAP.

    thank you!! kelleyetg@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete