Thursday, March 23, 2017

Archer Button Up





I looooove my new button up! I've been eyeing all the lovely Archers on Instagram and I finally decided to take the plunge and make one myself this winter (yes, it took me an entire season to make it because I'm slow - haha). It's only been done for less than 2 weeks and I've already worn it 3 times!






For the longest time I was really intimidated by the idea of making a button up top. It just seemed like there were so many steps and so much precision required. Spoiler Alert: there are a lot of steps (many many steps) and there are a ton of pattern pieces, BUT Grainline Studio's online tutorials make it really easy. The tutorials show you step-by-step (with photos and videos) how to do everything. And when you take it one step at a time - it's not that difficult and it's actually really rewarding because you are learning so much. I had already made the Grainline Alder shirtdress so that helped a lot, and between the two patterns I learned: how to make a collar and collar stand, how to make a button band, and how to make pleated cuffs! Yay - so many amazing skills!





Following the size suggestions on the pattern, I made a size 6 in the top and graded up to a size 8 in the waist. It is suppose to be a loose fitting top, but I think for future versions I'll do a strait size 6 or maybe even a size 4. The waist and arms turned out a little looser than I prefer.






There are so many things I love about this shirt - I took my time on the craftswomanship so the stitching and all my corners look nice. I bound the inside seams with a blue gingham print binding so it is pretty on the inside too. The butt ruffle is super cute! But, my favorite thing about this shirt is the fabric and buttons. I got the fabric at an antique shop in Iowa City, it is really soft and I love the beautiful bird pattern on it. The buttons are antique Czech glass buttons from my stash. I was debating if I liked the ivory or the black buttons better, and I decided to be crazy and use both. I actually love how it turned out with the alternating buttons, I was worried it would look too holly-hobby but I think it works because the buttons are so small.


My gingham binding!



Pattern: Grainline Studio's Archer Button Up
Fabric: Vintage (I'm not sure exactly what it's made of) and antique Czech glass buttons
Size: The top is a size 6 and I graded the waist to a size 8
Did I like the pattern? Very much! I want to make a ton more.





Next on my sewing table:
I started a Fancy Tiger Crafts Double Star Quilt in February and I finished the top, but then I learned that quilting is difficult. Soooooo I need to get that finished at some point. Also, I cut fabric for a Closet Case Patterns Ebony Dress and started sewing it last week. Yay!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I feel that after owning this pattern for years I might finally give in to my need for the butt ruffle. It elevates the look I think!

    ReplyDelete