Wow - what a busy month! I am moving to a new apartment (hopefully I will be done by the end of this weekend) and my fiance is moving to Richmond for grad school. We have spent the month packing, and cleaning, and saying good-bye to friends and family. In the mean time, I have been trying to spend at least a little time on my Colette Hawthorn blouse. I really really wanted to finish it by the end of the month, to enter their contest... but it just isn't going to happen. I'm going to take my time and finish it when I can :) However, I did finish the small bust adjustment with success! The SBA is explained on the colette pattern blog at: http://www.coletterie.com/sewalongs/hawthorn-sew-along-full-and-small-bust-adjustments.
|This is my first Hawthorn muslin - before doing the SBA.|
I have always been too intimidated to try making pattern adjustments. Too intimidated and just too lazy :) Surprisingly the SBA wasn't overly time consuming and really wasn't too tricky. I read over the instructions on Coletterie several times before starting.
|The back looked fine on the first muslin - so I decided to keep it the same.|
|I kept my computer close at all times to look up instructions and hints.|
You start out by creating a muslin and seeing how much extra fabric is gapping at your bust. I had about 1/2" of loose fabric. In order to resize, you need to cut the pattern piece and overlap the sections. The Coletterie blog explains where to cut. I overlapped the fabric by 1/4" in the front dart and in the side seam. My front side seam will be shorter now, so I will need to take that same amount off my back pattern piece.
|I taped my pattern piece back together and redrew my dart.|
|The joys of sewing!|
I feel so empowered - now that I have done my first pattern adjustment. It's like I'm reaching a new stage in my sewing. Yay!