Monday, April 4, 2016

High-waisted Ginger Jeans

Ginger Jeans


Ginger Jeans


Ginger Jeans


It's been awhile since my last post. Josh just accepted a new job, so we are moving back to Iowa. It's really exciting, but it also means that I need to find a new job too. So I've been spending most of the last month looking for jobs and apartments (not fun). I did however, manage to finish my Ginger jeans this week. Yes, you heard that right - I made jeans!!! Woo-hoo!!! I also started cutting fabric for a Seamwork Osaka skirt  :)


Ginger Jeans


Just like everyone else, I was really terrified by the idea of making my own jeans it just seamed like it would be so time consuming and difficult. I had to try it though, after seeing soooo many cute Ginger jeans online. And you know what? Making jeans isn't that bad at all - it's actually pretty fun! I already want to make another pair  :) Technically these are my practice pair. I used denim that I found in my stash. They turned out really wearable - just a few fitting errors that I need to correct for my next pair. They are super comfy and really durable - I already wore them on a long bike ride/hiking adventure  :)


Ginger Jeans


Ginger Jeans
Red topstitching and black denim pockets!


I've always wanted a pair of high-waisted skinny jeans, so I made view B of the pattern. Using the guides on the pattern, I cut a size 8/10 in the waist and graded down to a size 12 in the hips. I started out (as the pattern recommends) by basting my fabric together to test the fit. They were tight at my upper hips (near the top of the pockets) and loose at my outer upper thighs. For the upper hips I decreased my seam allowance to 1/4", and at the upper thighs I moved my seam inward about 1 1/2". Pretty easy changes. My big mistake here, was that I didn't take the time to baste my waistband on and check the fit. I just assumed that it would fit if I got the rest of the pieces to fit. Welllllll, I found out later (after topstitching) that I had a bunch of extra fabric at my lower back. So now the waistband gapes at the back. Oops! I must have had gaping in my back yoke that I didn't notice. The pattern says how to fix that, so I'll just fix it on my next pair  :)


Ginger Jeans
Oopsie! Lesson learned - make sure your waistband isn't gaping before you topstitch it!

Ginger Jeans


Ginger Jeans


So after I figured out my fit (for the most part), I followed the rest of the Sewalong for the Gingers. The Sewalong is amazing, it gives step-by-step photo instructions for every single step of the process. It really makes it so someone like me who has no idea how to insert a fly front or assemble a pocket stay, can make jeans easily! Even with the instructions - I did make a few mistakes. 
  • I tried and tried to use nice thick (30m) topstitching thread for my topstitching, but I could never get it to work. I tried different tension settings and needles, and I kept getting loops at the bottom. The only thing I didn't try was changing my bobbin tension (by tightening or loosening the screw on my bobbin case). I didn't want to do that, because I would have to change it back for all the regular seams. Moral of the story, I did the rest of my topstitching with regular thread and it looks fine. So if you're having trouble with topstitching, just use some regular thread in a fun color  :)
  • Use a thinner woven fabric for your pocket lining. I used flannel thinking it would be comfy, but it makes the whole pocket area bulge out weirdly. It's not too noticeable, but it would definitely look nicer with just a thin cotton.  
  • I added one of my fly front bar tacks too high. Make sure you put them where it shows in the pattern. 


Ginger Jeans


Ginger Jeans


Ginger Jeans


Long story short, this is a wonderful pattern and sewing jeans isn't scary - it's fun! For my next pair of Gingers, I want to do version B again in corduroy! I have a bunch more in-progress photos on my instagram: https://www.instagram.com/craft_rambler/

Pattern: Closet Case Files' Ginger Jeans
Size: 8/10 at the waist graded to a 12 at the hips
Fabric: Denim I bought at Jo-Ann's years ago
Did I like the pattern? Yes! This pattern and the sewalong are amazing.


Ginger Jeans


Yay jeans!!!!!


3 comments:

  1. These look great! I haven't made any Gingers yet but I have made...I think the count is now at 3 pairs of Jamie jeans. I had the same problem with top-stitching thread. I just couldn't get it to work on my machine (a Janome) and eventually gave up. I have tried putting two normal spools of Guterman thread on the 'top' and putting the two threads through the needle. The bobbin thread stays the same. That worked for me after adjusting and testing the tension. Look forward to seeing your next pair of jeans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce!!! Ooo, I'm going to try using two threads next time - thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful jeans. The color of the topstitching is great and using (perhaps) the wrong side for the inner front pockets and the belt loops is a very nice detail. Topstitching is indeed a difficult thing to handle. I sometimes do the same as Joyce suggested. Good luck with your next air of jeans.

    ReplyDelete