Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Ruffle Scarf

I love making special handmade gifts that I can really personalize. In January I crocheted a ruffly scarf for my fiance's mother. I bought some beautiful wool yarn from Yarn Soup, in historic downtown Dubuque, and I found a fun pattern on Lion Brand Yarn's website. They have a bunch of free crochet and knitting patterns, so it is worth checking out.

Scarf Time!
The pattern is very simple - just a bunch, bunch, bunch of double crochets! The ruffles are created by doubling the amount of double crochets - row by row. Basically we are making a bunch of circles, so it takes some time - but what a lovely outcome.

Chain 140.
Row 1: Double crochet in 4th chain from hook, *double crochet in next chain, 2 double crochet in next chain; repeat from * across.
Row 2: Chain 3, turn, double crochet in same space, *double crochet in next 2 double crochet, 2 double crochet in next double crochet; repeat from * across.
Row 3: Chain 3, turn, double crochet in same space, *double crochet in next 3 double crochet, 2 double crochet in next double crochet; repeat from * across.
Row 4: Chain 3, turn, double crochet in same space, *double crochet in next 4 double crochet, 2 double crochet in next double crochet; repeat from * across
Fasten off.
FINISHING
Weave in ends.


Hmmm ... almost want to keep this one for myself!  ;)
I love how much volume the ruffles give! It was a hit with Carol too.




No comments:

Post a Comment