Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Inspiration: State Fair!

One of my goals is to start saving the inspiring things I find, and using them in my dressmaking. I see beautiful embroidery, trims, styling, colors etc. and I want to start trying to replicate them in my own way.

I have been a fan of Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals my whole life. One of my favorites is State Fair, not only does it take place in the lovely state of Iowa (like Me), but also during the fashionable forties!


In this play/movie an Iowan farm family leaves home for a week of thrills, at the Iowa State Fair "the best state fair in our state." The characters find love and excitement, while signing a beautiful score by Richard Rodgers & Oscar Hammerstein II and wearing beautiful costumes.



I love the color blocking in this frock and the velvet!


Even the background people look great! The floral patterns on these dresses are lovely.

My favorite!
As a child I remember copying the design of the last dress for my paper dolls. The blue velvet is sooo pretty and the silver embroidery really sets it off. Now I just need to make one for myself!


No comments:

Post a Comment